Greater Toronto Al-Anon
Information Services (GTAIS)
What is GTAIS?
Greater Toronto Al-Anon Information Services (or GTAIS, for short) provides a forum for the Al-Anon and Alateen groups within the Toronto geographic area to exchange and share information. GTAIS also offers a variety of services to Al-Anon members and the community such as:
- To contact GTAIS concerning their meeting list call: 1 (416) 410-3809 or
1 (888) 425-2666
- Al-Anon Telephone Book Listings
- Telephone Answering Service
- Post Office Box
- Information on Conferences, Group Anniversaries, etc.
- Greater Toronto Al-Anon Family Groups Public Outreach
- Greater Toronto Al-Anon Day
AIS is the Al-Anon equivalent of AA's Intergroup Services.
What Area Does GTAIS Serve?
GTAIS serves the Al-Anon and Alateen groups in:
- Don Mills
- Greater Toronto Area
- King City
- Port Credit
- Port Perry
- Sutton West
What Services Does GTAIS Provide?
GTAIS provides services as suggested in the Al-Anon Service Manual:
- Provides MEETING LISTS for all Al-Anon and Alateen groups in the area.
We all know what a lifesaver meetings are! We are grateful there are approx. 80 meetings held weekly in the area we serve.
- Maintains Al-Anon LISTINGS in the white and yellow pages of various telephone books.
Telephone book listings are helpful both for potential new Al-Anon members and for out-of-town members looking for a meeting when travelling to our area.
- Manages the AL-ANON TELEPHONE ANSWERING SERVICE. Answers calls from people seeking information about the Al-Anon or Alateen program or about meeting locations.
Many members finally try our program after speaking with a sympathetic Al-Anon telephone volunteer who understands their pain and the frustration of living with an alcoholic friend or relative.
- Maintains an AL-ANON POSTOFFICE BOX to receive any Al-Anon mail for our area.
You can write to us at:
Greater Toronto AIS,
P.O. Box 1304, 145 THE WEST MALL
Etobicoke, Ontario M9C 1C0
Or you can e-mail us at
With Whom Does GTAIS Exchange Information?
- Al-Anon Groups. Information flow is a two-way street between GTAIS and the groups.
Groups exchange information about gratitude meetings, conferences and group anniversaries at GTAIS meetings.
Most Al-Anon members experience this service first-hand when they hear announcements about upcoming events at their own meetings.
Groups also provide feedback to GTAIS through the GTAIS Representative, when necessary.
For example, your GTAIS Representative will inform GTAIS of any changes to your meeting information (day, time, location, etc).
- GTAIS Public Outreach(GTAISPO), although an autonomous group, keeps GTAIS informed of their activities.
When needed, GTAISPO asks GTAIS for volunteers.
When Does GTAIS Meet?
|September: 2nd Tuesday
||October to December and February to June: 1st Tuesday
(No meetings in January, July and August.)
Meetings are held at Glenview Presbyterian Church at 8:00p.m.
1 Glenview Avenue,(Glengrove and Yonge - south of Lawrence Avenue)
PLEASE REFER TO THIS WEB PAGE FOR DETAILS OF FUTURE MEETINGS.
Who May Attend a GTAIS Meeting?
Any Al-Anon or Alateen member may attend GTAIS meetings, but only the designated GTAIS Representative from your group can vote.
How Can I Become My Group's GTAIS Representative?
At your group's next business meeting ask when the position will be available - your group probably already has a GTAIS Rep! Groups may select either the Alternate Group Representative (as suggested by the Al-Anon/Alateen Service Manual) or anyone with one year of Al-Anon or Alateen membership.
How Long is the Term?
The AIS Service Manual recommends the member serve one year as Alternate GTAIS Representative, followed by one year as GTAIS Representative. Most groups, however, are flexible.
A GREAT WAY TO "LEARN" THROUGH SERVICE