Is Someone's Drinking Getting to You?
If you answered "yes" to some or all of these questions, Alateen may help you.
- Do you have a parent, close friend, or relative whose drinking upsets you?
- Do you cover up your real feelings by pretending that you don't care?
- Are holidays and gatherings spoiled because of drinking?
- Do you tell lies to cover up for someone else's drinking or what's happening in your home?
- Do you stay out of the house as much as possible because you hate it there?
- Are you afraid to upset someone for fear it will set off a drinking bout?
- Do you feel nobody really loves you or cares what happens to you?
- Are you afraid or embarrassed to bring your friends home?
- Do you think the drinker's behavior is caused by you, other members of your family, friends, or rotten breaks in life?
- Do you make threats such as, "If you don't stop drinking and fighting, I'll run away?"
- Do you make promises about behavior, such as, "I'll get better school marks, go to church, or keep my room clean" in exchange for a promise that the fighting and drinking will stop?
- Do you feel that if your mom or dad loved you, he or she would stop drinking?
- Do you ever threaten or actually hurt yourself to scare your parents into saying "I'm sorry" or "I love you"?
- Do you believe no one could possibly understand how you feel?
- Do you have money problems because of someone else's drinking?
- Are mealtimes frequently delayed because of the drinker?
- Have you considered calling the police because of the drinker's abusive behavior?
- Have you refused dates out of fear or anxiety?
- Do you think your problems would be solved if the drinking stopped?
- Do you ever treat people (teachers, schoolmates, teammates, etc.) unjustly because you are angry at someone else for drinking too much?
© 1981 Al-Anon Family Group Headquarters, Inc. "Is Someone's Drinking Getting to You?" (S-20)