What Are the Al-Anon Family Groups?
Al-Anon Family Groups is a community resource providing support to anyone affected by a relative or friend's drinking. There are over 26,000 Al-Anon and Alateen groups meeting in 115 countries..
- Has only one requirement for membership -- each member has been affected by someone else's drinking.
- Is an anonymous fellowship of relatives and friends of alcoholics who meet anonymously to share their experience, strength and hope in order to solve their common problems; adult children of alcoholics, parents, partners, spouses, co-workers, etc., can al find help in Al-Anon.
- Is a separate fellowship from Alcoholics Anonymous (AA). Al-Anon is based on the Twelve Steps and Twelve Traditions adapted from AA.
- Is nonprofessional, self-supporting, spiritually based, apolitical, welcomes all cultures and is available almost everywhere.
ŠA1-Anon Family Group Headquarters, Inc.
1600 Corporate Landing Parkway, Virginia Beach, VA 23454-5617 Phone: (757) 563-1600 Fax: (757) 563-1655
"Fact Sheet For Professionals -- Information About Al-Anon & Alateen" (S-37)
- Is part of the Al-Anon Fellowship designed for the younger relatives and friends of alcoholics through age nineteen.
- Follows the same Twelve Steps, Twelve Traditions and principles as Al-Anon.
- Members conduct their own meetings with the guidance of an Al-Anon member sponsor.